Page 15 of 70 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 691

Thread: Computers: The Technical Thread [!OT]

  1. #141
    Inactive Member Ogreasy's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 31st, 2003
    Posts
    1,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    IRT Wiseman

    You goofball!
    Let me tell you about OHIO.
    We are THE Rollercoaster capital of the WORLD.
    We are the BIRTHPLACE OF ROCK AND ROLL.
    We are awesome.

    <font color="#101010" size="1">[ June 25, 2004 07:58 PM: Message edited by: CucoBerryAddict ]</font>

  2. #142
    Senior Hostboard Member Dreamer7000's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2004
    Posts
    7,236
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ok, OK, just don't eat me okay? (Hey, that's what Aira said in The Garden Of Dreams: "Don't eat me Miss'") I Loooove Grandia II.
    Oh, and by the way, see around in the topics we were in. I wrote to you, you know!! [img]biggrin.gif[/img] G'night!!

  3. #143
    Inactive Member Ogreasy's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 31st, 2003
    Posts
    1,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Oh, to be Roan in that Millenia hug in Durham...
    Man..

  4. #144
    Senior Hostboard Member Dreamer7000's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2004
    Posts
    7,236
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, imagining it makes me feel excited... [img]redface.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

  5. #145
    Senior Hostboard Member Dreamer7000's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2004
    Posts
    7,236
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, then I'm off to my friends in Hungary you know, hanging around, talkin' and stuff...but I'll be back at about 16:00 o'clock, I hope you'll be avake then... [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/sleepy.gif[/img] See ya later!! [img]biggrin.gif[/img] Sleep well you guys! [img]cool.gif[/img]

  6. #146
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Useful resource I've found:

    http://www.mailinator.net

    (explanation on link)

  7. #147
    Inactive Member Xellos's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,598
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Any good recommendations for a 200-300 standard monitor?

  8. #148
    Senior Hostboard Member Dreamer7000's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2004
    Posts
    7,236
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Crazeee again. Anti-spam? The ppl are too bored, besides, I don't bother if I recieve some cool american dealership in my mailbox. ^^ I love everything that comes from da States.

  9. #149
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    IRT Xel: I recommend a CRT (I mentioned the several reasons for this in before this thread), with a planar screen of 17" or 19" (depending on what do you want and how much space do you have).

    Philips monitors have an awesome quality to price ratio, are very good quality, and the brightest, most contrasted displays I've ever used. LG would be my second choice, as it has an awesome anti-reflect technology and similar features, although it's not as bright and it's more expensive (still a great quality to price ratio). Sony monitors are good but overpriced, as everything Sony, so I don't recommend them ? a Philips of the same size and features looks a little better, is a lot cheaper, and it's just as good quality and durable, so why bother with Sony.

    I recall you work at very high resolutions. This is not always convenient (not because of the monitor technology, but because of the size of images and the like on screen, more on this later), but you can have very high resolutions in CRTs too (in fact, CRTs go higher than TFTs). You should be concerned with the refresh rate though. One of the reasons why CRTs are much faster is that they don't have persistence, so if the refresh rate is not high, you'll notice flicker, and if you can notice it, it hurts your eyes.

    These are my recommended refresh rates:
    For 19" monitors: no less than 95 Hz
    For 17" monitors: no less than 85 Hz
    For 15" monitors: no less than 75 Hz

    The monitor synchronizing ability limits the maximum refresh rate for every resolution. I'll explain this later.

    Let's talk about the size. In larger monitors, you see objects and images larger using the same resolution. And using higher resolutions in the same monitor, you see objects and images smaller. You can make Windows to scale fonts so they always look the same, but images won't be scaled, and even our 96x96 avatars will look tiny in a 17" monitor set at 1600x1200. The measure to determine the size of what you see on screen is the Dots Per Inch (the higher DPI, the smaller the pics are). My personal preference is 80 DPI. If you want to know what DPI are you working at, tell me the size of your monitor and the resolution you work at.

    This table will show you which resolutions look similar on different monitors. I'll include a wide variety of them (including older ones) so you can compare better.

    53-59 DPI (for huge display):
    15" CRT/14" TFT: 640x480
    15" TFT: 640x480
    17" CRT/16" TFT: 720x540
    17" TFT: 800x600
    19" CRT/18" TFT: 800x600

    62-67 DPI (for large display):
    15" CRT/14" TFT: 720x540
    15" TFT: 800x600
    17" CRT/16" TFT: 800x600
    19" CRT/18" TFT: 960x720
    21" CRT/20" TFT: 1024x768

    71-75 DPI (for medium-large display - recommended):
    15" CRT/14" TFT: 800x600
    17" CRT/16" TFT: 960x720
    17" TFT: 1024x768
    19" CRT/18" TFT: 1024x768
    21" CRT/20" TFT: 1152x864

    80 DPI (for normal display - recommended):
    15" TFT: 960x720
    17" CRT/16" TFT: 1024x768
    19" CRT/18" TFT: 1152x864
    21" CRT/20" TFT: 1280x960

    85-90 DPI (for medium-small display - recommended):
    15" CRT/14" TFT: 960x720
    15" TFT: 1024x768
    17" CRT/16" TFT: 1152x864
    17" TFT: 1152x864
    19" CRT/18" TFT: 1280x960
    21" CRT/20" TFT: 1400x1050

    96-103 DPI (for small display):
    15" CRT/14" TFT: 1152x864
    15" TFT: 1152x864
    17" CRT/16" TFT: 1280x960
    17" TFT: 1400x1050
    19" CRT/18" TFT: 1400x1050
    21" CRT/20" TFT: 1600x1200

    109-118 DPI (for tiny display):
    15" CRT/14" TFT: 1280x1960
    15" TFT: 1400x1050
    17" CRT/16" TFT: 1400x1050
    17" TFT: 1600x1200
    19" CRT/18" TFT: 1600x1200
    21" CRT/20" TFT: 1856x1392

    Another thing to consider is the screen dot pitch. The smaller the dot pitch, the sharper, higher quality image, especially in very high resolutions. Go for 0.22 to 0.25.


    So talking about specific models:

    The Philips 17" 107T51 (white) or 107T56 (black) are around $200 and are similar to what I use. You should work at 1024x768 @ 85 Hz on these.

    The Philips 17" 107B50 (white) or 107B55 (black) are the same, but you can work in 1280x960 @ 85 Hz. Go for the other one unless you want to work at this resolution though.

    The Philips 19" 109B55 can be good to work at 1400x1050, or to work at 1280x960 or 1024x768 seeing things larger. It may be around $300.

    LG and other makes have models with similar features.


    ?????


    IRT Dreamer: I don't bother if I recieve some cool american dealership in my mailbox. ^^ I love everything that comes from da States.

    I presume this includes Viagra, enlarge your penis, false University diplomas, and Rachel 18 years old ads too, then.

  10. #150
    Senior Hostboard Member Dreamer7000's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2004
    Posts
    7,236
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't meant those mails Wiseman... =P

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •